market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pole beans (was Harvest cart - Crawler or Drangen)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vern and Amy <vaspencer AT sisna.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pole beans (was Harvest cart - Crawler or Drangen)
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 06:17:53 -0700

I haven't tried this, but what about using field fence for the first 3 feet? I have put beans and peas on 7.5' welded wire mesh (6"x6") used for concrete reinforcing in floors. Works well, is not galvanized, so no danger of poisonous fumes in burning old vines, but is somewhat unwieldy to work with. Years of experience getting it to lay down flat comes in handy. You can get your building supply store to get you 200' rolls of 7.5' or 5' or sheets 20' long. These also can make great tomato cages. I just saw at Home Depot panels of something like 4'x6'.

Vern
Vern's Veggies and More!
Cocolalla, Idaho