market-farming - [Market-farming] Beans (was: Re: Harvest cart - Crawler or Drangen)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Beans (was: Re: Harvest cart - Crawler or Drangen)
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 09:35:11 -0400

On 11-08-23 08:41 AM, SA wrote:
> I use mostly pole beans, but rely on bush for early production. I like to
> plant extra successions and pull the plants out of the ground as I
> harvest. I do an initial go-through stooped when they just start to bean
> out, but take the entire plant on the next go round so I can stand.

That's an idea: grow the first round of early bush bean (ie, Provider)
under fleece for added earliness, and then plant pole beans on plastic
for a main season crop when the condition are good. I like your idea of
harvesting by pulling the plant. I think this might work better with
varieties that mature all at once, though.

Which bush bean do you plant early in the season? I tried Provider
here, it works, but I think it does not have the best eating quality.
Would love to find another early, cool soil bush bean that delivers.