market-farming - [Market-farming] Topping Brussels Sprouts "Early"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: grizzdover AT gmail.com
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Topping Brussels Sprouts "Early"
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 19:34:57 -0500

Hello All,

In the past I have topped plants when the lowest sprouts are 3/4 desired size and the plants have been around 3 ft. tall , which I should do a couple weeks from now.  The plants this year are not nearly as tall nor are the sprouts really sized up like they "should" for this time of year.  I'm thinking of topping the plants now in the hopes that the formed sprouts will size up before our CSA deliveries are over.  Has anyone done something like this before?
I realize this is a very busy time of year so greatly appreciate any advice!

Ben Saunders
Turtle Farm
Granger, Iowa