market-farming - [Market-farming] shopping for new markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] shopping for new markets
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 01:48:27 -0400 (EDT)

I've been involved in three markets so far in my fledgling farm career.  One was marvelous but too far away, one was close but too small and populated by a whole lot of crafts and resellers.  One was experimental and shut down only half-way through its first season.  That one was run by an organization that has another market, same town but different day and location, which is actually one of our county's stronger markets (it might actually be the strongest).  While I was at the experimental market, I was invited to attend the bigger one as well.  We didn't have enough production at that point so I said thanks but no thanks.  With another market season well along and a few more lessons learned along the way, I'm starting to mull whether I should explore attending that larger market next year.  It's got some definite pro's and con's to consider, including a number of items from the "how to kill a market" list which circulated here not too long ago.  But it's also running strong and has been for a number of years now.  So how do you folks evaluate whether to attend any given market?  I sure don't want to make plans now for next year at that market, only to end up sending an email this time next year wailing "oh, GAWD, I was so dumb to think this would work!"  Wish I could find a market that combined all the ideal conditions, but this one might be the next best thing.  Suggestions for how to prove out the idea?
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA