market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] drip tape woes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] drip tape woes
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 16:03:43 -0400

On 11-07-27 01:41 PM, Burke Farm wrote:
> Any thoughts? It seems to work fine in the spring.. either that or
> maybe I don't notice this problem until I'm trying to run 8 lines of
> drip at a time and the ground is really good and dry.

How many gpm do you get from your water source? How many emitters would
that covers?

In my case, I get 4 gpm at the pressure regulator (I am on municipal
water, and my main is at 50 psi on 1/2" pipe). Multiplying the
emitter's rate by their spacing, I concluded I could run 1000' of tape
from my source. That's pretty much only 4 125' rows with double tapes.
Fortunately, we have a rainy season around here so I had to irrigate
very little, but I am starting to realise that I will need a water
source with much higher output in the next season or two.