market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] post-harvest handling resource?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] post-harvest handling resource?
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 11:56:24 -0400

I second this.  As much as I loath our OPGMA here in Ohio I have sat in on many sessions and have begun to implement changes in storage and handling.  I hope to have Phase 1 compete by March of 2012.  Produce packing shed, hand cleaning stations, concrete.

I think its important for all small scale folks to practice it and be prepared.  We dodged a bullet in the last round of food safety legislation, but I honestly do not think that will last forever.  All it takes is a rash of small scale outbreaks and you'll see the door slam shut quickly.

I'll post progress in the fall when I have more time and better photos.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855