market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] drip tape chewing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] drip tape chewing
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 13:16:28 EDT

In the past we have a lot of trouble with field mice, especially it we are dry in the area.

Phil from Iowa

www.timberridgelamb.com

In a message dated 6/27/2011 11:45:43 A.M. Central Daylight Time, barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com writes:

Hi,

We're having a lot of trouble with something chewing our drip tape. We haven't caught them in the act nor have we found droppings yet to help us decide if it is rabbits or rats or voles etc. I looked at the archives and the advice I found to deal with this was:

- cover the tape
- sprinkle blood meal

Has anyone tried either or both of those with any success? How about providing supplemental water (in a small tank or saucer) nearby but not in the crop field? We're tired of fixing major leaks in the drip tape every day. Our other thought is to add a much lower wire to our electric fence which would in theory stop rabbits and larger varmints like raccoons but not rodents.

Any advice or real life feedback is appreciated.

Kim
Barking Cat Farm
NE Texas where the forecast is hot & dry with a chance of hotter & drier by the weekend