market-farming - [Market-farming] Potato seed problem?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mike Rock <mikerock AT mhtc.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Potato seed problem?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 16:41:38 -0500

I am cutting up late potato seed today. The Kennebec had black streaks in the top six inches of certified seed. The bottom foot was fine, so I got enough. The black looks like marbling in a cake, not the occasional black spot you normally see at the surface and in a bit.

What is it? A few had hollow centers and pink mold in the cavity too. This is the first I have seen either of the black or the pink mold.

The Red Pontiacs, the Yukons and the Norlands were all perfect.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Got the old Aspinwall planter tuned up and it works just like it did sixty years ago...very well!

  • [Market-farming] Potato seed problem?, Mike Rock, 06/14/2011