market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market Prices and broccoli

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market Prices and broccoli
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 12:38:39 GMT

Our market is not a producer only market, but the produce does have to be be
grown in Payne Co. or one of the surrounding 5 counties.

Phil, we haven't had the rain you've had. We're in a drought here. We did get
nearly 2" Saturday night, but I was able to walk through the fields yesterday
because it soaked in so fast.
I think it's the rain and high temps messing with your broccoli. In 2007 we
had rain every day,fields flooded, and high temps. We couldn't get our
broccoli to hold that year either. We haven't had that problem since.

Our broccoli has all bolted now. We did a last pick on it Friday, and temps
all week were high 90's so that did it for broccoli. We still have
cauliflower that looks good, and cabbage, but cauliflower is a hard sell.

I picked 2- 5 gallon buckets of okra last night. The crazy plants aren't even
knee high yet and were loaded with okra. I blame the weather, like any good
farmer would do!

We're picking a few tomatoes now as well. Field grown. It's crazy when you
have broccoli, okra, and tomatoes sitting on the table at market.

The guy who undersells us doesn't know what he's doing. He doesn't keep any
records, over plants everything, and then practically gives it away, all the
while bragging about how much he harvests. He doesn't wash any of his greens,
or cool them. Half way through market everything is wilted and disgusting,
and why people buy it is beyond me. Saturday at market it was zucchini. He
had his van full of zucchini, but I didn't see many customers walking through
market with his zucchini. Maybe our customers are finally learning that cheap
produce isn't always a bargain.

It's always something!
Carla
Perkins OK.

Groupon&#8482 Official Site
1 ridiculously huge coupon a day. Get 50-90% off your city&#39;s best!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4df756884ca13459ebast04duc

  • Re: [Market-farming] Market Prices and broccoli, cjmaness AT juno.com, 06/14/2011