market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Summer Lettuce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Gary Scott <twinspringsfarmva AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Summer Lettuce
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 05:09:10 -0700

Dido water and shade cloth....I am  using a 50% block 10' x 100' cloth over 3/4" bent EMT (own the bender from Johnny's Seeds).

The varieties that I like are Nevada, Avenue, Cherokee, and New Red Fire. I wholesale some heads and have had many discussions about head size. Many buyers are stuck on the head lettuce they are use to getting that weighs about 3/4 LB with 24 in the wax shipping boxes (forced to use them, but I hate em!) I tend to cut my heads smaller than 1/2 LB. I also will make a mix  out of heads for the farm market through the summer.

Richard what is the buttercrunch variety that you mentioned?

Thanks,

Gary Scott
Twin Springs Farm, VA