market-farming - [Market-farming] pricing/asparagus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: moon AT ceva.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] pricing/asparagus
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 07:39:33 -0500

One of my price guides is: if it keeps, hold on and get yr $ back. Garlic seed on the market is $22 a#, if you order early.(fortunatly i, and i hope you don't pay that). $10 a # for scapes is reasonable. You deserve a 5cent raise. Your pricing may be arbitrary, but then so are kubota parts, taxes and fuel cost. My pitch is 'eat yr veges like your life depended on it'. After $3-400/mo health insurance payments, there's more value in $40 for selenium rich,murcury free garlic? The chinese have tanked our mkt w/ junk. White rot infestations on the west coast will soon be forcing prices to rise even more. It's our job to educate and cultivate.

Back to Asparagus, I raised my ph this year and Viola ! no beetles. Asp likes 7.2+. An experienced grower once recomended shirly poppies as a cover, yet to try. But then they are in Northern NY, dif weed presure then the jungles of Va.
I second no buckwheat.soybeans?
Where Pam?
Ann, Lucky moon Farm, Va,zone 7 and climbing.