market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] new drip tape

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] new drip tape
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 21:30:25 -0400

On Jun 5, 2011, at 8:06 PM, sora AT coldreams.com wrote:

If you're thinking of replacing your drip tape I highly recommend the
soaker hose made of recycled tires. I have some I've been using for 10
years now with no problems or hassles. At the worst one of the ends may
go and is easily repaired with a simple hose end repair. It is possible
to get it in huge rolls and set your own hose ends.

I've heard from home gardeners who said that even with a filter their soaker hose clogged up in fairly short order and quit working. It also seems that it would be a whole lot harder to move around in large quantities -- isn't it heavy? And, if it's from recycled tires, is their any question of its leaching miscellanous materials out into the water?

And what does it cost, if you need thousands of feet of it? I've never seen it in longer lengths than 50' or maybe 100'.