market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Spider Mites

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: grizzdover AT gmail.com
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Spider Mites
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 20:56:39 -0500

Hi Steve (and all),

I had a serious spider mite infestation on basil I was growing in a greenhouse two years ago.  A buddy of mine told me all I had to do was spray them with water to knock them off the plants and it was "too far" for them to climb back up.  I had basil growing on both sides of the greenhouse with nothing planted along the length of the center portion of the greenhouse.  Always up for an experiment I sprayed one side with water using a gallon sized sprayer and left the other.  The non-sprayed side was eventually lost, but the sprayed side perked right back up and showed no new mite damage.  I've also heard Neem Oil works very well but seemed to costly to me with how much I would have had to use.

Ben Saunders
Farm Manager
Turtle Farm:  Certified Organic fruits, veggies and herbs
Granger, Iowa
www.turtle-farm.com