market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cellophane produce bags

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207me.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cellophane produce bags
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 13:19:55 -0400

"Cellulose from wood, cotton, hemp, or other sources is dissolved in alkali and carbon disulfide to make a solution called viscose, which is then extruded through a slit into a bath of dilute sulfuric acid and sodium sulfate to reconvert the viscose into cellulose. The film is then passed through several more baths, one to remove sulfur, one to bleach the film, and one to add glycerin to prevent the film from becoming brittle.

A similar process, using a hole (a spinneret) instead of a slit, is used to make a fibre called rayon. Chemically, cellophane, rayon and cellulose are polymers of glucose and contain the chemical elements carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen."

Seems to lack a bit of the organic founders dreams!

In view of the way the Feds are treating our state legal pot growers, Isince we lack the heat for cotton

 think I will just bring back sheep and knit produce bags during the winter!

MAsteveINE