market-farming - [Market-farming] Walk-behind tractors versus rear-tine tillers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Ara Morenberg <amorenberg AT protransinc.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Walk-behind tractors versus rear-tine tillers
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 10:49:53 -0700 (PDT)

We have not yet moved to our newly-purchased farm and are contemplating equipment, trying to be sure we make the best choices for the money we spend. Because the property already has a pear orchard on it, we will be creating beds between rows of trees. Which way to go - walk-behind tractor or rear-tile tiller and why, please? Which brand do you prefer? We have been looking at the BCS 853 and are willing to spend the money if it's the right piece of equipment. The property is basically flat with sandy clay soil but tons of weedy grass overgrowth. We are especially interested in the woman's point of view because I personally would like to know if a woman can handle a piece of equipment that size comfortably. I'm 5-foot tall and weigh about 90 pounds.

Thanks so much for your advice and opinions.

Ara
3 Rivers Farm
Lake City, FL