market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] is the list quiet

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mike Rock <mikerock AT mhtc.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] is the list quiet
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 23:01:52 -0500

A quiet night for sure. Valerie is up in the barn seeing Dayspring, a 500# American Mulefoot sow through another litter being born. One boy, one girl so far. She has her coveralls on and her sleeping bag. The first several days she sleeps with the moms and kids. No farrowing crate, just a large dedicated stall for birthing. Clean hay and a happy mom pig.

It is amazing to see the little guys grab a teat within sixty seconds of hitting the ground. They can barely get their little mouth around it. Those wolf teeth help them hang on! Ouch!

Other than that, this is the first day we we have seen blue sky. Just hauled another McCormick-Deering grain binder home, no fixing needed. Just hook up the team and go. Moved the Port Huron thresher back here two days ago.

Mike