market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] supplying restaurants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brigette Leach" <afhg AT ctsmail.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] supplying restaurants
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 11:35:01 -0400

Where are you located?
Brigette
SW Michigan

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Ehrlich" <johnkaty AT shaw.ca>
To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2011 11:16 AM
Subject: [Market-farming] supplying restaurants

We opened a cafe on our farm and we just went through our first winter operating. Our menu is sparse, one salad, three soups, and indiv pizzas.

The salad in February was chickweed, (only because my ghouse was not completed until September, and I was too late on the winter greeens planting). (People loved it btw). Now the salad is Kale, a mild Dutch variety, sauteed with hot sesame oil and roasted sunflower and raisins. People love this too. Yesterday, we sold 12 salads at 5/each. It was about 2# of kale for $60. And it took me 30 minutes to harvest and prepare.

People are starving for this kind of authenticity, because there is so much inauthenticity now in the world.
Mothers come with their children and they see a real farm.

But we have not had to buy any veggies. The cafe is well received by the community and we are doing really well. We dont even have a cash register yet, and everyone has to pay cash and cash is king. I make way more per day than going to a farmers market. We are only open for lunch and now after one year, we are usually operating at max capacity.

Except yesterday, the build inspector came and said we did not have zoning to operate a cafe and is trying to shut us down. (largely bec he got a complaint either from a competitor or from a redneck neighbour) There is a funny stipulation here that farms can operate farm gate sales or agritourism enterprises, so we are in a grey area. But this is only part one in our battle.

Best, John
alderleafarm.com