market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Request for quote :)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mike Rock <mikerock AT mhtc.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Request for quote :)
  • Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 06:25:49 -0500

Within a few minutes of my posting I got a suggestion to contact these folks. http://www.greenandgreenfarms.com/about-us.htm

It looks like there is just such a service as my quote requester needs, at least for part of the season. And they are less than thirty miles from me.

Mike

Mike Rock wrote:
Hi all,
I just received this shopping list from a Polish restaurant in Chicago.
How does one supply this with organic or 'responsibly' grown produce. Obviously I cannot meet her needs for much of this from here in the north (SW Wisconsin). A case of leeks per week? Yikes.... And this is only ONE restaurant that needs supplies. This is a real eye opener to me. The reality of large scale warehousing, California supply chains, shipping and logistics all come into rather terrifying focus.

Here is her list:

"Leeks case each week from May through October, then one case every other
week
Carrot 40 pounds a week, may through October then every other week
Zuchinni 20 pounds a week, may through October
Potatoes 40 pounds a week
Onions 20 pounds a week
Spinach, case per week, more during May through October
Mixed greens a case a week

Also I go through a lot of rhubarb, blueberries, cranberries, and apples all
year round, I take the cranberries and blueberries and freeze them.

Hope that helps"

This is way beyond farmers market type stuff, and is the day to day reality of vegetable supply.

I hope this becomes an interesting topic for discussion.

Most respectfully,
Mike Rock