market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Grafted Tomatoes?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Antoine Gendreau Turmel <fermecouleedouce AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Grafted Tomatoes?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 13:34:22 -0000

Title: Re: [Market-farming] Grafted Tomatoes?
I use grafted tomatoes in our high tunnels.

Grafted tomatoes offer two advantages:

-soil disease resistance, which is very important in greenhouses or tunnels where the possibility of crop rotation is limited. Most greenhouses and tunnels used primarily for tomato production have cork root problems (at least in Quebec) even if a rotation with cucumbers and peppers is practiced. This limits the yield and longevity of the crop.

-higher yield potential, especially for continued production over a long period, as in greenhouses or tunnels.

I don’t use grafted tomatoes in the field, it just isn’t worth the extra cost in our short season. But in the tunnels, grafted tomatoes have a better start, much improved vigor, and better yields. I think it is really worth the extra cost.

Antoine G Turmel

Ferme de la Coulée Douce
St-Antoine-de-Tilly, Quebec, Canada
www.FermeDeLaCouleeDouce.com