market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Animal and neighbor problems

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Animal and neighbor problems
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 21:25:52 -0400 (EDT)

Absolutely get the sheriff involved, or Animal Control, or whatever.  Even if nothing has "happened" yet, it's time now to start documenting the pattern.  We had issues last year with a neighbor who after 10 years of peaceable co-existence, started making allegations and demands about how we manage our animals.  They came onto the property once under false pretenses and wanted to see our horses and cows to ensure they were "properly cared for".  Another time they came onto the property after we'd found and adopted a beagle, claiming to know who the beagle belonged to and they were there to "take the dog back to its owner".  Upon questioning they would not provide the name, address or phone of the owner, and could not explain why the owner hadn't contacted us directly despite Found ads online and in print all over town because they didn't like his occassional barking (we don't let him bark at night but he does sometimes bark during the day).  I'm pretty sure he just wanted to take the dog to the shelter and be done with it.  After that, the same neighbor would shriek at us from their deck, threatening to call Animal Control because we were obviously neglecting our animals and/or had vicious dogs.  I called the sheriff at that point and made a report.  They said if the neighbor called AC, welcome the officer with open arms but no I did not ever have to allow the neighbor on the property for any reason.  We later got licensed and inspected as a kennel to create a record of our operation in case of future complaints.  Without that paper trail, it's just a case of he said/she said.  Document these issues now, and show law enforcement that you're the reasonable one trying to be proactive and diplomatic.  Then if this escalates, you can report that escalation and the neighbors will have a harder time claiming you're the unreasonable one.

Also, from a dog rescue list that I'm on: if neighbor dogs are trespassing on the property, get a super-soaker watergun, loaded with red koolaid and vinegar.  Some of the bigger guns can spray 20', which may or may not be close enough.  But if you can hit the dog with the spray, the vinegar is a good repellant, and the koolaid will stain the fur.  If that 20' range isn't enough, get a paintball gun for longer distances.  Then you can then make a report that "yes, that's the dog that keeps getting on our property, Officer, the one with the red stains on its fur......."

Best of luck, and hang in there.  Our partner farm's neighborhood has wandering dogs too, and I keep threatening to string field fence around our growing area and be done with it.  In all that spare time.....
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html