market-farming - [Market-farming] soil fertility continuing ed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] soil fertility continuing ed
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:22:57 -0400 (EDT)

All this talk about lime actually brings up another topic.  I've been investigating the topic of soil fertility and concentrations of various elements, as that relates to livestock health while grazing and/or eating forage harvested from those soils.  Didn't take long for me to get into a real alphabet soup of elements and relationships between elements and how concentrations of this impacts that, how pH impacts the whole shebang, and why soil test results can vary so much between seasons, between fields and between years.  Made me feel like I needed to go back to school for a few more years just to sort out all this stuff.  Assuming for the moment that a return to full-time school is impractical, are there online courses or continuing ed courses I can take to learn more about soil fertility, without actually going back to University?  I've been doing the several-hours workshops thing as they are available, but that usually only whets my appetite for more, without answering many of my existing questions.  Maybe it's time to get into that topic a little more in depth, no pun intended.  Thanks in advance......
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, Wa
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html