market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Rolling Thunder (was High Tunnels)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Keith Morris <earthsurfing AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Rolling Thunder (was High Tunnels)
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 06:16:53 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks, Robin, for your thoughts.

EQIP has liberalized considerably since they began the High Tunnel program last year.  (Originally, you were required to get a 30 x 72, single layer, no electricity/ heat, etc. house.)  At least in Vermont- and there are some differences state to state- they will let you do anything (Rolling Thunder, 2 layers inflated, bigger house, etc.), but they will not fund these 'add-ons', you need to pay your own money.

We're looking at spending an additional 2-4k to go for a bigger house and Rolling Thunder.  While they certainly seem the most refined, I'm sure we could devise much less expensive ways of moving a house, if we weren't required to do an engineered/ manufactured tunnel.  I visited with Eliot this summer, and (even thought I think he gets royalties on the manufactured houses), he suggested just doing angle iron and wheels instead of the dollies, tracks, etc..

Thanks,
Keith

">>We just got high-tunnel funding through EQIP and are looking at a 30 X 96 Rolling Thunder.  I'd love to hear anyone's experience with these houses.

I have Rolling Thunder envy. I don't *need* another tunnel but I *want* a Rolling Thunder. Eliot Coleman sketched his rotation plan in the dirt (still had snow on the ground) for me two or three years ago. It was extremely helpful to see it even in the dirt.  He was going to be able to cover 6,000 sq ft over the course of a year with a 1,000 sq ft tunnel. I've considered selling my Quonset hut style tunnel so that I have room for a Rolling Thunder.  If EQUIP allows it, I'd absolutely choose this tunnel."

Keith Morris
Prospect Rock Permaculture
Design and Education for Ecological Culture
[ProspectRock.org]
P.O. Box 426
Jeffersonville, VT 05464
Keith AT ProspectRock.org
(802) 734-1129
PRP_Logo.jpg
"If we do not do the impossible, we shall be faced with the unthinkable."
Murray Bookchin (1921-2006)

  • Re: [Market-farming] Rolling Thunder (was High Tunnels), Keith Morris, 03/20/2011