market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Sorta OT - getting farm insurance for eggs, meat, dairy

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: E C GRANATA <elainegranata AT msn.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Sorta OT - getting farm insurance for eggs, meat, dairy
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 20:26:12 -0600

Have you tried the National Farmers Union?   They were the only ones I could get to cover me -- though I don't have the eggs, etc issues.

Elaine
Denver

From: KAKerby AT aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 22:04:29 -0400
To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Our property started off as a rural house, no farming activity when we bought it 11 years ago, so at that time we got a residential insurance policy.  Fast forward to today, and we have more than enough farming activities here to warrant switching that coverage from a residential policy to a farm policy.  The last few weeks I've finally started making some calls to get that done, only to hit several major brick walls.  First, we already sell eggs at market and via our micro-CSA, but the two companies we've contacted for insurance (Country Financial through Farm Bureau and Whitfield Insurance) are denying coverage specifically because of those eggs.  We also already sell meat animals to zoological institutions, and had planned to do pastured poultry under what's called the 1,000 bird exemption for WA state, which allows on-farm processing per year after a once/yearly inspection.  That coverage was also denied because of the risks that go with selling meat.  We are not yet licensed for dairy, but both insurance agents said that wouldn't be covered either, if/when we got licensed.  And these two insurance agents are apparently the only games in town, so to speak. The Country Financial rep has refused to return my phone calls.  The Whitfield folks have been great to work with, and have said we can still get farm coverage, but without covering those three particular items.

For those of you with farm policies, have you run into those walls?  If so, did you get around them or do you just go without coverage for those specific activities?  Anyone who has any suggestions for how to get coverage, or how to live without it (and sleep at night), I'd love to talk to you either on-list or off-list.  Thanks all!
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html

_______________________________________________ Market-farming mailing list Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/market-farming Market Farming List Archives may be found here: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/market-farming/ Unsubscribe from the list here (you will need to login in with your email address and password): http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/market-farming