market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bio- Plastics vs. plastic mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bio- Plastics vs. plastic mulch
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:28:48 -0600

Title: Re: [Market-farming] Bio- Plastics vs. plastic mulch
We used the paper mulch last year for onions outside and tomatoes in the hightunnel.  Really liked it.  It was Weed Guard Plus.  We laid it by hand without much problem.  Since it was a very rainy spring and early summer, it degraded outdoors sooner that expected but it still allowed the onions to get up and size up before getting very weedy.  It was mostly gone by the time I pulled the tomatoes in the hightunnel.  And, of course, the nice thing is that anything that is left can either be tilled in or put on the compost pile, unlike the black plastic which to me is a real hate joke.

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, KS