market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] hybrid vs. selection

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] hybrid vs. selection
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 09:22:32 -0500

On Feb 8, 2011, at 8:56 AM, Vern and Amy wrote:

I knew tomatoes were self-pollinating, but I had struggled with the statement that they won't outcross. My friend buys bees to pollinate his greenhouse tomatoes, and that indicated to me that they do outcross.

Someone more an expert on this than I am might correct me; but I think it depends on the variety. Some varieties, but not all, usually self- pollinate within the flower before it opens.

There are, I think, some self pollinating plants that nevertheless need insects around, because the pollen won't transfer within the flower unless the flower is disturbed -- for instance, by insects walking on it.