market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] hybrid vs. selection

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] hybrid vs. selection
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 14:15:58 +0000

When I grew tomato seed for Southern Exposure Seed Exchange many years ago,
the tomato plants were grown in a block, there was a minimum number of plants
(20?, 30? Can't remember), plants with "off" characteristics were rouged and
seeds were only taken from the best fruits in the middle of the block. And,
these were "modern" flowers, with the stigma within the flower, not the older
type where the stigma (and maybe the anthers also?) is longer and extends
beyond the end of the petals, inviting more outcrossing. And, that is for an
"easy" plant for seed saving. I think the best reference for people who want
to save seed and keep the varieties "pure" is "Seed to Seed" by Suzanne
Ashworth. 'Course, if keeping the characteristics of a certain variety
unchanged isn't important, you have a lot more leeway saving seed. Just be
prepared for "surprises".

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm