market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Stand-n-plant

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Susan Ventura" <sue AT dragonfly-farms.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Stand-n-plant
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:24:40 -0500

If you are doing them in individual cells then, not you don’t have to do anything other than pop them out of the cell and drop them down the tube.  I do onions in a 1020 open flat so all the roots have grown long and together so I have to pull them out , separate them, and trim the very long roots otherwise they will stick in the “seeder” tube.   You will need to use the “planter” rather than the “seeder” to fit a 72 size cell down the tube.  The “seeder” model will only fit up to about a 200 size cell plug.  I only use the “seeder” model with onion plants and sometimes large seeds that I am planting through plastic mulch.  All my other transplants go up to a 72 count tray and then I use the planter model by just popping the transplants out of the tray and sending them down the tube.