market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rob Wallbridge" <rob AT songberry.ca>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] mulch
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 22:04:53 -0500

Hi Lloyd,

I've used about that much BioTelo each year for the past three; mostly the
.6mil, but some of the lighter stuff, too -- I don't see a huge difference.
I've also laid 1mil black plastic. The BioTelo is a little less forgiving
than the regular black plastic, but not hugely. Good bed preparation is
important, and be sure to follow the manufacturer's recommendations. I find
it's easier to work with when it's cool -- I like to lay it early in the
morning. I've also seen it degrade prematurely if it's in direct contact
with a drip line -- it'll split right down the line -- need to keep the drip
tape buried. It can look pretty ragged by the end of a hot, wet season, but
by then it's done its job, and not having to worry about removing it is a
godsend, in my opinion.

Cheers,
Rob

Rob Wallbridge