market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Garlic Scape prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Garlic Scape prices
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 23:54:40 -0500

John,
If they are pickling them, they may be adding quite a bit of value to
the final product. Marketed to the right demographic, these are worth
quite a bit. When we lived in Seoul, scapes, when in season, where
the highest priced vegetable offered by the vendors we frequented.
And when we bargained the price down a bit with a lot of haggling, our
vendor was scolded by others for coming down at all.

They're not considered a byproduct, but a delicacy for those familiar
with them. So I'd hold my price, or not drop it by much. Another
approach is to figure the total return per row foot of garlic planted,
for both scapes and bulbs, and see how it compares to other crops you
are growing.

Braised scapes are incredibly good.
Richard Moyer
SW VA