market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Egg prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pmottshaw AT verizon.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Egg prices
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 09:01:59 -0600 (CST)

We grow locally just for our family and I enjoy this list.

I had to comment on this thread because I hear comments about food prices all
of the time. Just last night, in fact, I was talking to one of my husband's
friends (who was over our place to watch the play off game with the Patriots
and the Jets) and he talked about shopping at places like Price Rite. I tried
to talk to him about the quality of the food and how the food was produced
(pesticides, etc. that cause health issues and proven facts about how much
better organics are then food sprayed with nasty sprays). I didn't get
through - price was the only thing he would consider.

For your market, do you think education would help? Maybe printing an article
or 2 proving how much better this food is, and therefore the price is higher.
I think it's important to support local farmers.

Paula Mottshaw
Foster, RI
Zone 5 / 6

Sign up for fun, free eco-living tips at www.idealbite.com