market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Disappointing Phoenix farmers markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "thamnophis AT gmail.com" <thamnophis AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Disappointing Phoenix farmers markets
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:51:40 -0600

Hi Joe,

Unfortunately, all of the "farmers" markets in our area (Dallas area) are
mostly resellers and very little producer. And some of the growers will often
supplement what they do grow with a lot of bulk produce bought at the
wholesale terminals.

Of the many markets around here, only one has rules about growing what you
produce, specifically that you are supposed to grow at least 60% of all that
you sell. Aside from the fact that that percentage is way too low, in my
opinion, that market doesn't even enforce the rule. When a honey seller there
came under scrutiny, a market board member who is himself a legit meat
producer was dispatched to investigate the self-professed beekeeper. Even
though there was ample evidence during the inspection that the honey vendor
was not a beekeeper at all, they were allowed to continue selling at that
market. Even though it is well-known among the local beekeeping community
that this guy buys his honey in 55 gallon barrels and rebottles it for sale
in his own private label bottles, he sells his product at a premium price at
many of the local markets.

Although this type of fraud is prevalent with produce, we hear stories of it
happening in other areas in addition to honey and produce. One involved
someone buying goat cheese in bulk from a big box store, rolling each piece
in herbs, then selling it as if they'd made the cheese. Aside from lying,
it's also highly illegal. We have also heard of similar deceptive practices
with meats bought in bulk being resold under the guise of pasture raised by a
local rancher. My biggest problem with all this is the lying by omission
aspect. If you're honest about what you're selling and people buy it anyway,
then fine. As in a lot of areas, our area market managers are not growers and
care nothing about supporting local growers. They just want the market full
every Saturday morning.

Here in TX, we have no state law regulating farmers markets, aside from the
laws governing all food safety, etc. But even in CA, where they supposedly do
have laws in place, fraud and deception at markets is rampant. I recently
read a good report on that, if interested I can send you a link.

Unfortunately, I don't have any good news to report on this front. What we
try to do is educate our customers about this. At the beginning of each
farmers market season, we post a piece we wrote encouraging them to ask
questions before they buy at a market. Locally grown food in our area is a
hugely underserved market. We know that our best customers will not be found
buying pineapples Saturday morning at the farmers markets. And those people
that would buy non-local stuff at the market will not be good customers for
us anyway.

Best regards,
Laurie
Barking Cat Farm