market-farming - [Market-farming] Disappointing Phoenix farmers markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Thamnophis <thamnophis AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Disappointing Phoenix farmers markets
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 00:06:38 -0600

I know the Phoenix area can be tough to grow in, but I was really
disappointed to see all the brokered produce at their markets this
month. The majority of the dozen or so area markets are run by a
couple who appear to be in it only for the money. They charge 10% of
every sale plus the stall fee.

Do other markets charge on a percent basis like this?

It looked to me like 80% of the produce and flowers were imported. The
vendors were very obviously trying to let people believe it was what
they produced unless asked directly. But when asked they admitted they
didn't grow it. Even those selling jams and jellies didn't grow or can
their product. The flower guys were selling the same South American
varieties that the grocery stores do and there were more than a few
selling greasy burritos or some other fast food.

As is the case for much of Arizona business, they prey on the snow
birds and elderly retirees, but it made me wonder if all farmers
markets are going to be "commercialized" by two-bit scoundrels or if
some sort of government regulation might have to be imposed.

The two growers I spoke with are, of coursed, bothered by this, but
what can they do when the whole regions farmer's markets are run by
the same money grubbing people?

Joe