market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cost of land as % of gross sales?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: booldawgs AT frontiernet.net
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cost of land as % of gross sales?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 04:37:15 +0000 (UTC)

I can see why, on the West Coast, we have a hard time.  My farm cost over $4,000 an acre.  having lived in California for 30+ years a small rundown ranch in Oregon, for $215,000, looked damned cheap.  Irrigation was a lie.  It cost a huge sum to get a 30 year old ditch running again.  It is rural and redneck.  Pot is the biggest crop.  Organic???  Why would you do that when chemical fertilizer gives you instant results.  My best market for grass fed meat is over the border.

Margaret