market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] a research project is born (SaladG@aol.com)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] a research project is born (SaladG AT aol.com)
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 10:06:39 -0400

Phil wrote:
"No sense in reinventing the wheel, I feel we need to target our youth
that are still exploring their mind's for their future."

Phil,
Here are some regional efforts I am aware of. Other please chime in
with ones in your area.
---Learning Landscapes works with elementary schools, to teach
students how to garden using school grounds, then how to harvest and
eat the foods they grow. Includes middle and high school students as
mentors. www.asdevelop.org/learninglandscapes.htm
---At VA Tech, 'Animal, Vegetable, Miracle' is the common book for all
incoming students. Students who have read this book are, for their
demographic, among my most frequent market buyers. Read and recommend
this one for practical ideas and inspiration on making local foods a
reality.
--At VA Tech, Dr. Ron Morse, Vegetable Crops researcher, specializes
in scale appropriate technology for no-till veggie production. He
tried to retire, but was enticed to come back for two years, to lead
this venture: One of the major research farms now has some land
devoted to growing vegetable for the dining hall. Much of the labor
for this is coming from students and dining hall staff, that the staff
can participate from planting the seed to serving the food, all on
campus, and offering year-round work instead of only when class is in
session.
---There is a new minor at VA Tech, 'Civic Agriculture and Food
Systems' described here:
www.cals.vt.edu/news/pubs/innovations/mar2010/newminor.html The first course:
2204: INTRO CIVIC AGRICULTURE
Introduction to the economic, social, and ecological foundations of
civic agriculture. Topics include industrialization, localized food
systems, and citizen participation in civic agriculture. Emphasis will
be given to a range of civic agriculture models, strategies, and
hands-on approaches to establish, retain and strengthen
community-based food and agriculture systems. (3H,3C)
I hear there is a long-waiting list for this minor, which is creating
hope re: efforts to acquaint and train the next generation, allowing
structured, hands-on work, including small, intensive farms.

Others please share related projects in your area.
Richard Moyer
SW VA

  • Re: [Market-farming] a research project is born (SaladG AT aol.com), Richard Moyer, 11/03/2010