market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Walk Behind Tractor with Rotary Plow

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Thomas Kumpf <tjkumpf AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Walk Behind Tractor with Rotary Plow
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 13:31:59 -0700 (PDT)

Justin,
I have a BCS 745 with a double/swivel rotary plow. The tractor is the
same as todays 948, except it has the old Kohler 14hp, cast iron engine with
weighs 140lbs, vs. the 13hp Honda that the 948 has that weighs 80 lbs. I
used to have a single rotary plow on my 850 (equiv. to 853 currently) before
that. Here are my thoughts:

1.) Rotary plow is great for primary tillage, i.e. sodbusting, but that
really depends on the amount of land you are looking to manage. If it were
me, it is easier and faster to hire a neighboring farmer to bottom plow your
property. this is important in the spring, especially if you have to beat
the weather or have a short window to get work done (dry spell) and the
further north you go the more important this is. I farm in NC, but am
originally from NY, where a wet spring get you chomping at the bit.
2.) Cover crops---the single and rotary plow will both plow down mature cover
crops without flail mowing, but if they are tall its hard to see where you
are going. So, mowing ahead is key. I once plowed a large area with 6' tall
rye/vetch/crimson clover by starting in the middle with the single rotary
plow and moving outward. Very slow and difficult to see, best to flail mow
first or have the double plow and start on one side of the field and work
toward the other side.
3.) Raised beds---they work good for this, but it takes some work getting
used to. I currently have a double/swivel plow that I'm borrowing from a
friend to try out for raised beds. Have only used it sparingly but the
alternative is a disc bedder to pull behind a tractor. Double Disc bedders
are about $750 new (single bed) and they can make raised beds with little
effort. Dollar for dollar they are more practical than the rotary plow.
4.) Decide on how much acreage you are going to grow on and that should guide
you. Less than 2 acres, a plow is a good investment. But, I think a
tiller/flail mower is just as effective and easier to use if you are cover
cropping and trying to establish semi-permanent beds.
5.) Size of tractor--my 745 has 15" rims, which is not standard. 12" rims
on any model in my mind is the minimum you should have with at least 50-75lbs
of weight for each wheel for proper traction. Plowing requires good weight
for traction. If your budget allows, buy the Grillo 131 with diesel engine.
The 131 is a beast, and is heavier duty than the BCS 948. See if Joel will
sell you 15" wheels for it. I bought my 745 b/c of the heavier Kohler cast
iron engine which you don't see anymore. I got my for a good price and the
machine was cherry.

Try this forum:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/2-wheeled-tractors/

There are a number of guys one there with bcs/grillo tractors. Search
for rotary plows, there was a thread a couple years ago....

Tom Kumpf

www.double-t-farm.com