market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Using BCS Walking Tractor

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: idyllwild farm <idyllwildfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Using BCS Walking Tractor
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 21:25:46 -0400

I have a Grillo with a sickle bar and rotary plow that I got from earthtools. The rotary plow served me well when I needed to turn a limited amount of ground. The sickle bar gets used all the time. And I like the transportability of a 2 wheel tractor. I regret not being adventurous and getting the diesel 10hp.
I think that anyone proposing to farm 2+ acres with one probably hasn't done it for very long before they bought or borrowed a tractor. Turning new ground can be a lot of work. Worked ground less so, but it still takes it out of you. When  you start to price attachments, used tractor stuff looks pretty competitive.
Good Luck,
Mike