market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market timing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market timing
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 14:55:27 -0400

Beth,
Have been selling at a Tues afternoon-eve market last three seasons,
April-Dec. We earn 1/3-1/2 what we do on Sat AM, same location. Ads
in local paper helps, as does weekly Email of available items, listed
by vendor. We have a customer base that buys on both Sat and Tues,
and will buy one of those days if away the other. A lot less traffic
at the Tues market, but a much higher percentage of serious shoppers.
We moved the Tues time from 4-7 to 3-6, for very few come after 6,
most workers getting off at 5. Regardless of when we start, there are
customers waiting. I suggest you make a rule of no early sales and
empower someone to enforce it, less you have 1-2 vendors there selling
one or more hours early. Location near office complexes helps with
workers on break.

Did a winter market at a local hospital earlier this year, on Thurs.
Best sales day was their payday every 4 weeks. I am working toward
more fresh greens this winter. The hospital is trying to encourage
their employees to eat more fresh veggies, but we never did partner
with that program to its potential.

Richard Moyer
SW VA