market-farming - [Market-farming] market timing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] market timing
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 19:52:22 -0400

We are starting a winter market indoors. This will be a new town for us.  There is summer market in that town on Saturdays and Wednesdays.  We would like this long term to turn into a year round market.  (We are producers only, other encourages wholesaling.)  What experience/advice do you have for a day of the week?  I assume we will do it 4 to 8  p.m. or similar for the winter.

This is an expansion of what 3 of us did last winter, using the locallygrown.net system, with folks picking up at my place or me delivering into town (for a fee).  We want to expand it with more farmers this year, and of course, many more customers.  We did it Thursdays last year, but Thursday is my CSA pickup at the farm, and I don't want to have to change that in another year or two.  Wednesday during the summer is a great day time market for us, so that pretty much leaves Monday, Tuesday, and Friday, which essentially means Tuesday i think.  Any experience with Tuesday markets????

Thank you.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY
Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com
Become a Fan on Facebook

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and geese

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe