market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mowing down ever bearing raspberry canes in spring the second time.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mowing down ever bearing raspberry canes in spring the second time.
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 15:49:51 -0400

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 21:18:18 -0400, Marlin Burkholder wrote:

> I normally mow the canes to the ground sometime during the winter months and
> have the primacanes beginning to grow out in early April.  I wonder what
> would happen if I would mow down half of my patch a second time in late
>April
> or early May with the idea of pushing forward one month the initiation of
> primacane production and spreading out the fruiting season.

That sounds a little severe to me--the plants put an awful lot of energy into
that early growth, and you might set back your eventual yield. I'm just
guessing, though. If it were me, I'd think about replacing part of my stand
with a later and heavier producing variety. I haven't grown Heritage in a
long time, so I can't say how they compare in terms of dates, but I love
Carolines (great flavor, large berries, stems a bit weak), and am growing
fond of Prelude, which is just now coming into full production on the
primocanes, here in zone 5.

If you decide to try your idea, let us know how it goes next year.

--
Richard Robinson
www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/