market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] crop review

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] crop review
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 15:56:49 GMT

Here's a brief rundown of how things did here on our farm in Oklahoma. Keep
in mind that we don't plant a lot of anything, just a lot of different
things.
Early crops did very well, meaning lettuce, beets, turnips, radishes, sugar
snap peas. No spinach or carrots though.

Cole crops were a disaster. Very little harvest off of any. But, rabbits or
voles came through and mowed them off, and by the time they regrew it was too
hot.

Green beans were just OK. We only picked 3 times and then it was too hot. We
tried growing some beans under shade cloth will limited success. We will try
it again next year though.

Tomatoes were just OK. Not a bumper crop, but we are still picking and I
believe we were the only ones at market Saturday that had tomatoes. They are
small, and ugly, but still taste good. We put out 650 plants.

Peppers did fair early and then nothing. We put out about 200 bells which
includes several different varieties and then about 150 plants that are a mix
of Anaheim's, poblanos, and jalapenos. Jalapenos have done well compared to
the others but, not as good as previous years.
A typical year would be picking about 9-10 5 gallon buckets of peppers every
week, and this year I was lucky to get 1 or 2 buckets.

Eggplant was about like the peppers. 175 plants and we had about 3 good
harvests and now nothing.

Okra has done well. It's on drip like everything else.

Cucumbers have done extremely well.

Squash. Terrible. My fault though.

Purple-hull peas did fine.

We are just now starting to harvest winter squashes and pumpkins. The winter
squashes look fairly productive, but the pumpkins appear to be all vine with
very few pumpkins out there. Unless there are more hiding it won't be a
record pumpkin year for us.

The other fall crops are up, but that's about it. We're having our usual
problems with grasshoppers eating everything that comes up though. Apparently
spinach is the preferred food of giant grasshoppers.

Carla
Perkins, OK

Mortgage Rates Hit 3.25%
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4c8e49d2c563cb3d4d4st05duc

  • Re: [Market-farming] crop review, cjmaness AT juno.com, 09/13/2010