market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Variety observations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Variety observations
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 09:17:12 -0400

On Aug 16, 2010, at 8:55 AM, Richard Robinson wrote:

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 16:56:52 -0400, Etienne Goyer wrote:
Beth Spaugh wrote:
Costata Romanesco is holding up much much better than the hybrid zucchinis
did. Standard zukes succumb to cuke beetles, squash bugs, viruses pretty
quickly on my farm.

The Johnny's catalog says it produce only about half the yield of hybrids.
Is that correct in your experience?

That was my experience the few years I grew them. But the catalog is also right about the taste--it is superior.

--

We had problems with rot and weird appearance at the blossom end on Costata Romanesco; and, for anyone interested in harvesting baby zucchini with the flowers still attached, the flowers didn't seem to hold at all; they disintegrated into gush very fast.

Anyone else have this problem with Costata?

We usually grow Cocozelle for an old variety with good flavor, and Ambassador for a standard dark green zucchini; Ambassador is somewhat hard to find seed for, but seems more disease resistant than most. I have also had bad luck with Partenon, which died of disease faster than anything else I had out there one year I tried it. Success PM did not do all that well for me and got just as much powdery mildew as anything else, Multipik does better here; and I second Zephyr which is a nice reliable squash with good flavor and a distinctive look. I also grow a little Yellow Crookneck which I think has best flavor but needs to be picked very young or people won't buy it as the skins are bumpy and look overripe before they are (Yellow Crookneck is a very old variety.)

We also grow White Pattypan which is also called Early White Bush Scallop, and White Bush cousa. The White Pattypan is also hard to find but it has better flavor here than most other pattypans I've tried.