market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Was: Looks like late blight but; Now: Potato rots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: idyllwild farm <idyllwildfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Was: Looks like late blight but; Now: Potato rots
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 06:41:10 -0400

Hi Richard:
Planting potatoes now in VA? When do you harvest and how are the yields, generally.
Interesting to think of in N. KY.
thanks,
Mike

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com> wrote:
Pam wrote:
Anyone have thoughts about this? Potatoes cooking in hot soil, LB, other
potato rots?

Pam,
The three potatoes we have harvested so far are Russian Banana, Yukon
Gold and Red Norland.  The second planting, in a newly plowed sod
field, has severe wireworm? damage, mostly in the Reds, but some in
the Golds.   Causing the Reds to rot quickly, with horrific, sudden
smells.  Now I know why some recommend against planting potatoes in
newly turned sod.

The Russian Banana and Yukon Golds, planted in ground turned three
seasons ago, do not have the worm damage or the rots.

We just planted 100 lbs of Yukon Golds and 25 lbs of VA Baker
(Russets).  Another 100 lbs of Yukon Golds yet to plant.  Will see how
they sprout and grow in this heat (they are mulched with rotted
leaves).

Richard Moyer
SW VA