market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Imidacloprid - helpful info on characteristics

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Imidacloprid - helpful info on characteristics
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 11:04:26 -0400

On Aug 2, 2010, at 10:54 AM, Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland wrote:

My understanding is that a biologically active ingredient might not be seen on the list of active ingredients if it somehow is able to be loopholed into the class of "inert" ingredients which don't have to be disclosed, but may be anything but "inert."

You're correct about that: what's being used is a technical meaning of the word "inert", in which sense it means "has no effect on the purpose for which this item is labeled"; but the ingredient may have known other effects, including possibly toxic ones.

I doubt imidacloprid would be an inert ingredient of a pesticide in that sense, however, as if it's in there it presumably would be because it does have an effect for the purpose for which the pesticide is used.