market-farming - [Market-farming] ] Increased ozone concentrations affecting crop yields and ecosystem functioning?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland <rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm>
  • To: Market Farming Community Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] ] Increased ozone concentrations affecting crop yields and ecosystem functioning?
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 12:42:26 -0400

See this from the US Dept of Agriculture. I wonder if this is common knowledge and a topic of discussion among farmers and farming advocates. I am not normally a climate science watcher, but a good friend in Seattle has become one and sent me this.....he is becoming more alarmed the more he learns. This ozone phenomenon is separate from other climate change (warming, etc) issues, but I wonder what people in the field think about it all.

Seasonal mean of ambient ozone concentrations between 09:00 and 16:00 h over the continental United States from 1 July to 31 September 2005 (Tong et al. 2007. Atmos. Environ. 41:8772). Areas shown in brown, orange and red can experience significant crop yield loss and damage to ecosystem function from ambient ozone.

Yield Loss Caused by Ozone

Field research to measure effects of seasonal exposure to ozone on crop yield has been in progress for more than 40 years. Most of this research utilized open-top field chambers in which growth conditions are similar to outside conditions. The most extensive research on crop loss was performed from 1980 to 1987 at five locations in the USA as part of the National Crop Loss Assessment Network (NCLAN). At each location, numerous chambers were used to expose plants to ozone treatments spanning the range of concentrations that occur in different areas of the world. The NCLAN focused on the most important agronomic crops nationally.

Yield response to seasonal 12 h daily ozone concentrationThe strongest evidence for significant effects of ozone on crop yield comes from NCLAN studies (Heagle 1989). The results show that dicot species (soybean, cotton and peanut) are more sensitive to yield loss caused by ozone than monocot species (sorghum, field corn and winter wheat).

For questions email:
westernmapermacultureguild-owner AT lists.thepine.org

Listserv hosting by: GAIA Host Collective

Roots Farm
Organic Produce
Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs
CockraneDOMINICA
767-449-3038

  • [Market-farming] ] Increased ozone concentrations affecting crop yields and ecosystem functioning?, Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland, 07/30/2010