market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] canopies

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Idyllwild Farm" <idyllwildfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] canopies
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 08:06:54 -0400

I've used the knock down "carport" model for 7 years a while back. The
benefits were they were way cheap, you could replace the tarp fairly easily
and it's made of pipe- lose one and viola you can replace it locally. They
also take next to no space in the market truck. They do take a bit of time
to set up.

Now, I have an ezup I got at Sam's for $200 (and there are other heavy duty
ones like the caravan, but I don't have experience with them). It's rugged,
maybe a little heavy, but not 100lbs and takes up a little more room in the
truck. But it sets up fast and looks good. And critically, if there's a
little breeze that picks up a leg, the leg doesn't fall out if you didn't
screw it in tight (that's embarassing). The pro model ezups also have some
give, so the legs don't snap off.

IMHO, if you want to go low cost, then get the "carport" style because it's
rugged. You will be using the pipes in a hoop house long before it breaks on
you. Don't get a cheap fold-up canopy because you'll be buying one or two a
year if you have some tough market weather or don't set it up just so each
time.
Mike

Idyllwild Farm
7251 Four Mile Rd