market-farming - [Market-farming] Best way to display green onions and arugula for sale

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Andy Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Best way to display green onions and arugula for sale
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 07:37:24 -0400

This season for the first time I have a reach-in cooler on my farmstand which will enable me to sell greens and some other crops which do better at cooler temperatures on the stand for the first time.
The cooler is kept at about 43 F. It does a good job with the berries, and lettuces (which are displayed in a tub where the stem is immersed in about a 1/4" of water), but we are having problems with the stems of our green onions going limp very quickly and our arugula drying out.

What are good ways to store/display these items so that we can keep them on the stand for more than a day.
I should mention that In my walk-in both the onions and arugula store very well. It seems like the reach-in runs much dryer than my walk-in does.

Andy