market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Flame Weeding

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pam Twin Oaks <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Flame Weeding
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:48:13 -0400

Flame weeding for carrots is done pre-emergence only. Days to emergence depends on soil temperature, so a soil thermometer can give guidance as to when carrots might emerge. Tables are in Knott's Vegetable Growers handbook (which I think Google has puit online) and Bubels' New Seed Starters Handbook, or in the ATTRA publication on Flame Weedingfor Vegetables, linked below, showing days to emergence at various soil temeperatures. Easier is to sow a few beets in the carrot bed when sowing carrots, and flame as soon as you see the red loops of the beet seedlings emerging. Beets are just a day or less quicker than carrots to emerge, so they tell you when the carrots are getting ready.

Flame weeding for corn I have not done, but I think it needs to be done when the corn is tiny (1"?) and the growing point still underground. Or else after the corn has got big enough (4")to withstand the flame. See http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/PDF/flameweedveg.pdf

And thanks for the more info on tougher biodegradable plastic.

Pam Twin Oaks, Louisa, VA

  • Re: [Market-farming] Flame Weeding, Pam Twin Oaks, 07/12/2010