market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Late Blight help needed_ [also cucurbit downy mildew map]

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Late Blight help needed_ [also cucurbit downy mildew map]
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 14:39:13 -0400

On Jul 5, 2010, at 10:32 AM, mommagoose AT lycos.com wrote:

Hello , I think this is my first post here. Last year we were devistated when we lost about 450 tomato plants to Late Blight. Now it seems we are surrounded with it again. Please , when posting about the disease in your area , will you tell us what that area is. State and County will suffice. Also if you have a resistant variety, please post that too. I bought 4 greenhouses last Fall and have planted the bulk of this years tomato crop inside . I am hoping I will get some ripe tomatoes this year. Bush Early Girl and Viva Italia seemed to be the most resistant last year. The most susceptable was the heirloom paste tomatoes. Amish Paste and Polish Linguisa.
Good Luck
Linda Dabulewicz
Harpursville, New York 13787

Hi, and welcome to the list!

Your county extension office should have an up to date list of where late blight has been reported, and should be able to let you know whether there's any of it close to you.

I am trying to reconcile myself to this week's weather report (scorching hot, at least for this area, and dry) with the thought that at least such weather discourages the spread of late blight and of downy mildew.

Just tripped over this map of cucurbit downy mildew outbreaks, by the way, for anyone else watching that:

http://cdm.ipmpipe.org/

Click on the map and you get both a bigger map and more info.