market-farming - [Market-farming] Growing for compost

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wyatt Jones" <wyatt_jones AT netzero.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Growing for compost
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:53:04 -0400

Hi

I'm trying to decide what to plant in order to use for good mulch/compost with a good amount of nitrogen and carbon to build up the humus here.  I really need to break up this clay a bit as well.  I'm thinking some sort of alfalfa mix might be the solution but I'm not sure what to mix it with exactly though there are many alternatives.  I thought about an alfalfa/clover mix with either rye of orchard grass, both common hay mixes but not sure about he proportions to get some good results.  A pure alfalfa would provide a lot of nitrogen but fairly expensive and it would only last about 3 years.  I've also considered things like Sudangrass/soybean mix but I don't know how the nutrient levels would be using that.

I'm also having trouble getting untreated alfalfa seed.  Fedco has it but its almost $400 plus shipping for 50# whereas the other kinds I can get, albeit treated, are about $200-$250 for 50 lb.

I'm flexible about the details as long is it works, I just want to get this 10 acres growing materials for compost and fertilizer in the most cost effective and efficient way I can.

thanks

Wyatt