market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fava beans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fava beans
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:01:58 -0400

Sue,
The few times I have grown favas, I have trellised them once. They do
not have tendrils to grab on the trellis like pole beans and English
peas. So I did stake and weave like tomatoes. When I grew them
against a wooden fence as a windbreak, they stood up well on their
own. This year, we've had heavy wind and rains that knocked them over
in the open field, so I wished I had trellised them. But being a new
crop, my kids are having fun crawling among them to search for pods.

There are varieties that are taller than others, and perhaps more
prone to blowing over.

As for avoiding pod set in heat and fungal 'blossom blast',
Territorial Seed in Oregon offers a variety that's touted as maturing
a month earlier than others, and also that overwinters well. I'll be
trying to overwinter one or more varieties. Territorial also notes
that they make quality overwintered biomass that maturing late spring,
that can easily be tilled in as the rank stalks are not fibrous. I
agree they are good at weed suppression, and that the stalks are a
valuable mulch. So even if not high yields, other benefits, including
some nitrogen fixation.

Richard Moyer
SW VA
Packing for midweek market